Do you set New Year’s Resolutions? I haven't for the longest time but this year I set only one, "In 2013 I resolve to step away from my computer."
I spend way too much time on my laptop, I-phone and I-pad. Even though I work from home and need them for work-related projects and general client communication, like everyone else I also use them to communicate socially. Personal communication whether it is face to face or via telephone is human interaction and should remain that way. The statistic that says, 70% - 85% of jobs are found through networking refer to the human component of networking and not from the computer.
So who wants to join me by spending a few less hours in front of a screen and more time in front of a living person?
Here are some resolutions:
1. Resolve to call at least one person a day and let them know of your job search.
2. Resolve to exercise at least 30 minutes a day rather than use Facebook during that time.
3. Resolve to make plans to spend time with family or friends rather than texting or Tweeting them.
4. Resolve to make something that you see on Pinterest and share it with a real person rather that just pinning your interests to various Boards.
5. Resolve to volunteer. Volunteering gets you out of the house, develops a new skill set or keeps your skills current, allows you to meet new people and helps you network. It also helps someone of something else.
Happy New Year everyone!