In larger lakes, you might catch muskellunge, northern pike, walleye, striped bass hybrids, channel catfish and lake trout. Smaller streams and brooks can yield brown and rainbow trout. Wild populations of fish (not hatchery raised) can also be found in abundance, says the State Dept. of Environmental Protection.
- Englishtown Mill Pond (Lake Weamaconk) Englishtown
- Garveys Pond, Navesink
- Holmdel Park Pond, Holmdel
- Lefferts Lake, Matawan
- Macs Pond, Manasquan
- Manasquan Reservoir, Howell (Boats require permits)
- Mohawk Pond, Red Bank
- Poricy Pond, Middletown
- Shadow Lake, Middletown
- Silver Lake, Belmar
- Takanassee Lake, Long Branch
- Thompson Park Lake (Marlu Lake), Lincroft
- Topenemus Lake, Freehold
- Turkey Swamp Park Pond, Freehold
For more information, including regulations and launches, ramps and outboards, visit the DEP's website.