Top officials at the Port Authority and some of Gov. Chris Christie’s most trusted advisors, as well as the Governor's Office itself, were served subpoenas by a state Assembly committee investigating the George Washington bridge scandal, officials said Friday.
Kevin O’Dowd, Christie’s chief of staff and Michael Drewniak, the governor’s press secretary, are among the 18 people subpoenaed by the Assembly Select Committee on Investigations, which is probing the September lane closures that gridlocked Fort Lee for nearly a week.
The list also includes other top Christie aides: Maria Comella, Colin Reed, Christina Genovese Renna, Evan Ridley and Charles McKenna, Christie’s chief counsel.
Christie’s incoming chief of staff, Regina Egea, former campaign manager Bill Stepien and former regional campaign director, Matt Mowers, also received subpoenas.
Bill Baroni, the Port Authority executive who had previously appeared before an Assembly committee looking into the September lane closures, also received a subpoena, along with current Chairman David Samson.
Other Port Authority employees served subpoenas are: Paul Nunziato, Christina Lado, and Philippe Danielides.
David Weinstein, who appeared before the same Assembly committee but refused to answer any questions, was also on the list of those served Thursday night.
The Office of the Governor and the Chris Christie for Governor Inc. campaign offices are the only two organizations served by the committee.
Late Friday, the final two subpoenas were confirmed by Assembly Democrats. They include Bridget Anne Kelly, the former deputy chief of staff who in an email to Weinstein appeared to have ordered the lane closures just weeks before they took place, and Nicole Davidman Drewniak, wife of Michael Driewniak.
Christie has said he has had no involvement in the lane closures and has pledged to cooperate with all appropriate investigations.
Shortly after the investigation committee was seated after its creation Thursday, the panel’s head, John Wisniewski, D-Middlesex, said 20 subpoenas would be issued for documents relating to the lane closures – 17 to individuals and three organizations.
More subpoenas are expected, but the committee is not releasing the names of the recipients until they have been served, officials have said.
The subpoenas demand documents, emails and text messages and other communications related to the lane closures dating back to September, 2012 – a full year before the lanes were closed, according to the subpoenas.
The subpoenas also ask for all voicemail messages, day planners or calendars from that same period, the subpoenas say.
The committee also is demanding cell phones or other electronic devices -- both personal and government-issued -- used in connection with the lane closures also be turned over for inspection, the subpoenas say.