Happy Valentine’s Day! Keeping the spirit of the day in mind, let’s take a look at the top five reasons to love yourself during your job search.
- Identify your strengths. Write down the job tasks that you enjoy and rank them as high, medium and low. The areas that received high marks are your strengths. Any areas that you ranked as low or medium may be your weaknesses.
- Write out examples of your strengths. Now that you have identified your strengths, explore them by defining specific examples (what, when, where, why).
- Correct the weaknesses. Look for free or low cost classes or other ways to improve your weaknesses.
- Write an Elevator Speech and practice it. When you create an Elevator Speech you note an area where you excel. Look in the mirror and say your speech out loud. Not only are you validating your strength(s), you are preparing yourself for using your speech flawlessly.
- Count Your Blessings. Contact your networking contacts and thank them for their help with your job search. It may remind them to keep you in mind if they learn of an opening.
Sure, all this may sound corny but liking yourself is contagious and it allows you to be more optimistic, affirmative and upbeat and those are skills that are necessary in any job search.